Sunday, September 19, 2010

Wedding Season Wanes

My dear friend Melissa Marsack got married last weekend in Michigan. I was sad miss the ceremony, which I heard was lovely, as well as the chance to be there for such a pivotal event in her life. Since I couldn't attend Melissa's wedding, I decided to crash some local weddings instead. Well, I didn't actually crash anyone's wedding (at least not à la Owen Wilson & Vince Vaughn), but I did briefly glom on to some wedding parties in a park and snap a few photos.



The wedding tradition here, a Russian acquaintance tells me, is roughly as follows: (1) go to ZAGS, the government office, for the official exchanging of vows (this is very brief), (2) tour parks and historical sites with the wedding party and take lots of photos, (3) have a big wedding party/feast that goes on for two or more days. I've never officially been invited to a Russian wedding, so the only part I've witnessed is (2) -- walking around sites and snapping photos.



Wedding wheels:



Here's a wedding from early August in Novgorod with some of the wedding party in traditional garb:





A cute wedding tradition that's cropped up in recent years is the love padlock, where couples write their names or initials on a padlock (often heart-shaped, awwwww) and lock it to a bridge. Apparently the custom was inspired by an Italian book & film and is now hugely popular in Europe and beyond. (I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that there's a Wikipedia page describing the tradition...) Many Russian bridges - especially pretty and prominent ones - are now covered in padlocks. One bridge in the center of Moscow - Luzhkov bridge - is lined with so-called "trees of love," which were placed there specially for love padlocks:







But wedding season is winding down now that it's September, so I won't be crashing any (many?) more weddings this year. And hopefully when my next friend gets married I won't be on the other side of the world.

3 comments:

katiejane said...

Hi Julia,
What a fun weekend crashing weddings. I love hearing about other country's wedding traditions. The love lock is the sweetest idea. I wish I could see it in person.

I've been enjoying your blog. Hope you are well and hope to see you some day soon!

Katie

cg said...

Loved this blog! But not as much as I love you! so wish you could've been there...not too many Kappa Sig guys, but we *were* sitting at a table rightfully named, "The Big House." Pics to be posted soon! xo

Julia M. said...

Katie! Congratulations to YOU!! I am so happy for you and Daryle. I can't wait to see you guys again as a married couple. You should start the love locks tradition in DC :)

Care - Yes, yes, still lamenting my absence :-( I'm surprised that not many Kappa Sig guys were at the wedding. I guess Don didn't keep in touch with many of them? I'm waiting (im)patiently for pics!!