Sunday, July 11, 2010

The High-Heeled Brigade

The women of Moscow, that is. They wear the highest of high-heeled shoes to work, out on dates, or, you know, on a leisurely stroll in the park or grocery shopping.

I've collected some sample specimens from the city. But I have to emphasize that these pictures hardly capture the scope - or the color palette - of what I've witnessed. My camera wasn't ready, for example, when Miss Matching Turquoise (4-inch) Heels and Hot Pants got on the metro. Or at other times I just felt sorta creepy aiming my camera at women's feet.

But hopefully these pics will give you some idea of what I see every day.





I mean, you never know when you might meet Prince Charming. Perhaps on Red Square...



Outside the library...



Or waiting for the metro...



Those are shoes I'd rather not walk a mile in. And trust me, she DOES walk miles in them!

Here's a few more for good measure:









Some other favorites that didn't make it onto my camera were the red heels with matching red sports socks (really?) and lots of metal spikes, which could surely double as a weapon in case of imminent danger.

9 comments:

Sandra said...

OMG! that is soo VERY funny! But my feet hurt just looking at your wonderful pictures!

cg said...

these MIGHT just be my favorite pics that you've posted. So what shoes are you wearing when walking through the streets of Moscow? I bet these ladies keep Dr Scholl's shoe inserts in business?

Christine said...

This looks exactly like that New York Times section that takes pictures of the It girls. So funny. I will say this... Their legs look fantastic.

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia M. said...

My feet won't go anywhere NEAR these sorts of shoes!! No matter how great they might make anyone's legs look ;) And I don't know about Dr. Scholl's, but there are about 3 shoe repair kiosks on every block... maybe they're doing something to make the shoes more comfortable?

marilyn said...

I'm with Chris.....great looking legs. And I really like most of the shoes. But I do love shoes and I have some heels like that, never wear them but have them.
Your a pretty good at photography.

marilyn said...

I'm with Chris.....great looking legs. And I really like most of the shoes. But I do love shoes and I have some heels like that, never wear them but have them.
Your a pretty good at photography.

marilyn said...

I'm with Chris.....great looking legs. And I really like most of the shoes. But I do love shoes and I have some heels like that, never wear them but have them.
Your a pretty good at photography.

Julia M. said...

I admit that I also once had shoes like these. But the few times that I wore them I wanted to kill either myself or the shoes after a few hours... Eventually I destroyed the shoes.