Monday, July 26, 2010

Bathing Beauties



It's time to turn the camera lens on Russian men. And I've gotta say, it's not a pretty time to do it.

The heat has persisted and so it's not unusual to see men in speedos, or often more accurately: their skivvies. I wish I could say that the average age of the men in this apparel was under 50.





And the skivvy-sightings aren't just from this beach in the center of Novgorod...



(I escaped to Novgorod from Moscow for a few days, well actually for 2 weeks).

Before leaving Moscow I managed to snap a shot of a not-infrequent sight: fountain-bathing.



You can't really tell from this picture, but there was a musical fountain show going on when this guy stripped, dove in, and cooled off in the spray.

But I can't say that I blame them right now. It's still really f@#$@ing hot.

I've felt my will to live partially return after arriving in Novgorod. Moscow's heat and city-ness were driving me a bit batty, which I didn't fully realize until the night train from Moscow dropped me off at 6 AM in Novgorod. While it's still really hot and humid here, I'm at least getting some relief from traffic and concrete in a beautiful historical city. The cool monuments and buildings also help (more on these later).

1 comment:

cg said...

Get this...I was JUST talking about Mike's Bike Tour in Germany w/my coworkers and how, after a liter of beer, we rode through the nude meadow ringing our bells. And how most of the men should NOT have been naked. So, I guess it could be worse, right? xo